This section is helpful for learning how to receive government information before you know there is a problem and for looking up information after you’ve learned of a problem.
C. Getting Information From the Government – Lists to Follow
In many cases, government agencies and elected officials keep lists of people to notify when they schedule meetings, consider issues or actions, or publicize rules or decisions. Sign up for lists from your elected representatives and look for agencies that deal with the issues you are interested in and sign up for their lists. By paying attention to decisions and proposed decisions of federal, state, and local agencies you will be better prepared to identify and address potential problems. You can usually request whether to receive these updates electronically or by mail.
Some of the following agencies maintain listservs and share notices regularly:
- To sign up for lists at the Department of Natural Resources, visit MO DNR Subscriber and select your lists. From here you can sign up for notices from the air pollution program, the state parks, and the solid waste management program forum, among many others. You can also receive notices on landfill permits, boil orders, and other important notices. Please note that these lists are not a catch-all of everything happening at DNR and you will likely need to call if you are looking for specific information or check the various agency websites. MCE has noticed that since 2016 many of these lists have not been as active as before. For example, no boil orders have been noticed up to this list since 2017.
- To sign up to receive notices from the Missouri Department of Conservation, visit MDC Subscriber and select the lists you want to subscribe to, including information on permits, regulations, and upcoming events.
- For updates from EPA on enforcement and compliance sign up at Join the ECHO Listserv | ECHO | US EPA
- For updates from the U.S Army Corps of Engineers, responsible for issuing permits to develop wetlands, and levees visit the respective districts:
- Kansas City District – A list of public notices may be accessed here. You may find contact information for the Regulatory Branch of the Kansas City District here — they may be able to assist you in joining a listserv.
- St. Louis District – Website > 408 Permits. See Public Notices
- Little Rock District – Public Notices – See Public Notice Information
- Parts of Missouri are also in the Memphis District and Rock Island Districts. To our knowledge, there are no listservs for these districts, but you may access public notices for the Memphis District here and for the Rock Island District here.
- For updates from the St Louis area East-West Gateway Council of Governments (EWG) sign up for local government briefings at East-West Gateway Council of Governments (EWGCOG)
- For updates from The Mid-America Regional Council ’s (MARC) Air Quality Forum, sign up for committee updates at contact us and stay informed – Transportation
Please note that many other agencies offer listservs, which can be located by a simple search online. Many of these notices are also made available on social media so be sure to follow government agencies on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.