Contributing your time and energy is valuable to us! Do you have a passion for the environment and a valuable skill that you are willing to share? The Missouri Coalition for the Environment is always looking for dedicated people to devote their time, energy, and talents to our organization. Some of the volunteer skills we are looking for are:
- Data entry and office work
- Events assistance (including working at the MCE booth at environmental events)
- Website content management (joomla)
- Social media promotion
- Graphic Design
- Outreach and networking
Internships are located in our St. Louis headquarters at 3115 S. Grand Blvd., Ste. 650, St. Louis, MO 63118 and are unpaid, unless otherwise specified. We can work with students to obtain college credit and are usually an eligible entity for public service stipends. Our office is accessible by metrolink and metrobus and there are bike racks up and down the street. There is free parking across the street on Hartford behind the Commerce Bank Building.
SPRING 2019 INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Special Events & Marketing Intern
Description: Missouri Coalition for the Environment (MCE), is celebrating our 50th anniversary in 2019. We have a unique opportunity to garner additional awareness, as well as fundraise for our organization and the protection of Missouri's environment. To that end, we seek a dynamic self-starter with excellent interpersonal skills, to assist with event planning and marketing efforts. This is an outstanding opportunity for an individual interested in learning more about the environment, nonprofit fundraising marketing, and event planning.
- Create and coordinate the drafting and distribution of promotional materials, sell tickets, manage event staff and volunteers, and cover the logistics of events
- Update guest registration, seating information, and related data entry
- Manage and implement a plan for securing silent auction items for the gala
- Update all special event content on MCE's website and social media channels
- Assist with donor acknowledgement and guest follow-up
- Plan and facilitate planning committee meetings, including distributing agenda and taking minutes
- Experience with social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter) and marketing tools (Constant Contact, Canva, Hootsuite, and Lucidpress is a plus)
- Completed or working toward a college degree, preferably with an interest in nonprofit development, event planning, or marketing
- Previous internship or related experience in event planning and marketing is a plus
- Must be computer literate
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with community contacts
- Self-motivated, good organizational and interpersonal skills, detail-oriented, ability to multitask, prioritize, and meet deadlines
- Enthusiasm for MCE's mission
Start Date: January 2019. Position open until filled, requires 3-6 month commitment.
Hours: 8-12 hours/week. Preferably twice a week in the office. Must be available some evenings and weekends.
Food & Farm Marketing Intern
Work with MCE on local food promotion projects, such as developing and executing a farm to school marketing plan with Maplewood Richmond Heights school district for promoting the local food they are sourcing for their cafeterias, and assist with other local food marketing projects of MCE’s Food and Farm Program.
Internship tasks will include:
- Working closely with Local Food Coordinator and Maplewood Richmond Heights staff and students to develop and execute a marketing plan for promoting the local food that is being sourced for the cafeteria
- Creating marketing materials about local farmers in the region to be shared on social media, in organization emails, and on our website
- Possible marketing techniques would include creating content for social media, emails, newsletters, our website, and various in-cafeteria posters or other visual displays of farmer narratives
- Use photos of local farmers to create visual displays promoting their farms
- Communicate with local farmers, school staff, and students
- Background in strategic communications, marketing, or related field
- Strong interest in food service, local food systems, and/or environmental stewardship
- Prior experience with social media and email communication on behalf of an organization (can be a student group)
- Ability to create a marketing plan including a budget and timeline for execution
- Understanding of different marketing techniques and tools, familiarity with Constant Contact, Canva, Hootsuite, and Lucidpress is a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
Foodshed Research Intern
Be a part of informing St. Louis of the state of our Foodshed! MCE is seeking a foodshed research intern to update the statistics in the St. Louis Regional Food Study. In the Food Study, MCE looked at the state of our food system within 100 miles of St. Louis, reporting changes between 1925 and 2007. We later captured a "snapshot" of the most important foodshed statistics when the USDA released 2012 data. We are now looking for an intern to collect, analyze, and summarize the new data coming out this spring to help us inform the region on whether or not our food system is improving for our health, our environment, our rural communities, and our local economy.
Internship tasks will include:
- Collect and aggregate data from the 2019 Census of Agriculture for the foodshed regarding population, farm employment, dollars spent on food, hunger and food insecurity, diabetes and other diet related health conditions, types of crops grown, total farmland, size of farms, number of farms, number of animals raised, and soil erosion.
- Create handout that captures a "snapshot" of our food system today based on the 2019 Ag Census data similar to the 2014 snapshot document here.
- Illustrate changing trends in our food system by graphing existing foodshed data collected and the new data from the 2019 Ag Census from the last decade.
- Summarize findings in written form for MCE's website to accompany the Food Study.
Background or strong interest in environmental science, environmental studies, sustainability, food systems public health, nutrition or related field
Excellent written communication skills
Ability to work independently and take initiative
Experience using Google Drive
Experience researching and collecting data is a plus
Experience with Adobe InDesign, Canva, Lucid Press, or other graphic design software is a plus