Food and Farm VISTA
1 year of service commitment, with stipend from AmeriCorps
This is an unpaid, 40 hour a week position starting in December 2019 or January 2020. AmeriCorps provides a biweekly cost of living stipend of $479.08. Learn more about the AmeriCorps VISTA program and benefits here.
Missouri Coalition for the Environment (MCE) is seeking a Food and Farm VISTA to support and expand the St. Louis Food Policy Coalition’s (STLFPC) reach into low-income communities and work to increase these communities’ access to healthy, locally grown food from environmentally-responsible farmers as well as equitably access land for community food production. Tasks include working with stakeholders to determine how to improve the quality of existing food outlets in St. Louis, providing support to existing healthy food outlets, fundraising to support our projects, and working to determine how best to use vacant lots in St. Louis to improve healthy food access in neighborhoods of greatest need.
This position will work to accomplish three objectives:
1. Work with MCE’s Food and Farm Director and other STLFPC members to carry out projects that support increasing food access in low-income communities.
2. Implement strategies with Food and Farm Director and other stakeholders to increase access to land for food production for the region’s most food insecure.
3. Provide support to the Food Justice Organizer in their community outreach efforts.
- Background in food systems, environmental science, sustainable agriculture, public health, community engagement, or related field
- Interest in food justice, policy, and research are preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Experience in graphic design is preferred
To apply, submit your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to Food and Farm Director, Melissa Vatterott at [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.