NexGen Silica, LLC PO Box 391, Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670, has applied for a new permit from the Department of Natural Resources, Land Reclamation Program, to mine Sandstone on 249 acres of land located in Ste. Genevieve County. The proposed location is across Highway 32 from Hawn State Park Road and is causing concern to the surrounding community. There are two ways to help:
- Attending the public meeting on May 19, 2022.
- Submit comments to DNR opposing the mine by May 27, 2022 at 5pm.
To hear more about the concern from the community, read these articles from the Sun Times and St. Louis Post Dispatch. Follow The Friends of Hawn Association’s website and Facebook page to hear more local updates.
This proposed mine could negatively impact Missouri’s people and their environment. People and wildlife in and around this proposed facility, including Hawn State Park and Hickory Canyons Natural Area, may suffer from:
- Air pollution from dust particles from the crushing and breaking apart of mine materials.
- This is an immediate and longterm threat to the health of people nearby.
- Groundwater (including well water) contamination and disruption to water systems in the area, including important habitat for local fauna and flora.
- Noise and light pollution that often comes from mining operations.
Submit public comments by May 27 at 5pm to DNR Chief Bill Zeaman of the Industrial & Metallic Minerals Mining Unit in DNR’s Land Reclamation Program. His email is: email@example.com.
Plan to attend the public meeting on May 19, 2022 in St. Genevieve at 7 pm. Doors open at 6. Location: Progress Sports Complex Gym of the Ste. Genevieve Community Center, 1300 Progress Parkway, Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670.