Call your legislators today to win funding for climate-friendly agricultural programs!
This month, we have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to advocate for major investments in addressing climate change. Congress is crafting a $3.5 trillion climate and infrastructure bill, which they will pass using the budget reconciliation process: an unconventional process which will allow the bill to pass the Senate without a supermajority AKA with only Democratic support.
MCE’s network of farmers are committed to good stewardship, many building out their environmentally-responsible farms with their own investments. However, MCE also knows that every year, far more farms apply for government conservation funding than the government currently has funds to support. This bill could invest billions in helping farmers reduce greenhouse gas emissions, sequester carbon, and adapt to a changing climate. Will you call your legislators today to urge them to stand strong and invest in real solutions to the climate crisis that work for farmers and support farmers of color and others who have been left out of past farm programs?
$135 billion of the total funding package has been allocated for food and agriculture. Members of the House and Senate Agriculture Committees have until September 15th to decide how to distribute that $135 billion among programs (with about $45-46 billion already earmarked for important child nutrition programs), so now is a critical moment to ask our legislators to invest in solutions to the climate crisis that work for farmers, such as:
- On-farm renewable energy
- Agriculture conservation practices, especially working lands conservation
- Sustainable and organic agricultural research focused on climate resilience
- Resilient food supply chains
- Reaching historically underserved producers, including farmers and ranchers of color
Ready for action? Call your legislators today!
How to call your legislators:
- Missourians have two federal Senators:
- Call Senator Roy Blunt at (202) 224-5721
- Call Senator Josh Hawley at (202) 224-6154
- Find your federal Representative here.
You will probably reach a staff member or voice message system. Consider leaving a message that goes something like this:
Hello, my name is ____ and I’m a ____ [farmer, parent, concerned citizen…] in your district. I’m calling about the budget reconciliation package. It’s critical that agriculture funding in this milestone bill helps farmers address climate change and adapt to its impacts, especially in an agricultural state like ours. There are three specific investments I hope you will prioritize:
- $30 billion for climate-friendly agriculture and working lands conservation programs
- $5 billion for climate-resiliency-focused sustainable and organic agriculture research
- $3 billion for value-added agriculture, on-farm renewable energy, and livestock processing
Thank you for your time!
If you’re pressed for time, you can easily send an email through the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (NSAC) here.