MCE’s campaign work for the 2023 Farm Bill is underway! Together with our partners in the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition, we are working to ensure the next Farm Bill supports our farmers, our health, and our environment. Check back to this page over the next year to find our important calls to action for the Farm Bill.
This summer, marker bills are being introduced – these are what we describe as “draft pages” of the final Farm Bill. We will need your help asking Missouri’s congressional delegation to co-sponsor the marker bills most important to Missouri’s farmers, health, and environment. The more co-sponsors a marker bill has, especially from both major political parties, the more likely Congressional leadership will decide next year to put that bill’s language into the final 2023 Farm Bill. One marker bill we are excited about right now is the Agricultural Resilience Act!
Ask your Members of Congress to Co-Sponsor the Agriculture Resilience Act!
This bill will harness the power of agriculture to draw down carbon from the atmosphere and store it in the soil, and with enough support, it can become part of the Farm Bill. With urgent action now, including the investments and policy reforms in the ARA, we can meet our climate goals and dramatically improve our food system while engaging farmers in making the critical changes necessary for our future.
Things in the ARA we are most excited about:
- Research on farm practices that build resilience to changing conditions
- Funding for soil health and carbon sequestration practices, including a greater percentage of funds set aside specifically for beginning and socially disadvantaged farmers
- Market support for local food products that significantly improve soil health and carbon sequestration
- Increased transparency in food labeling regarding animal-raising claims.
- Food waste reduction, including clarity on quality dates and discard dates on food
- Funds for establishing new small-scale animal processing, which helps grazing livestock producers thrive
- Support for on-farm renewable energy through the Rural Energy for America Program (REAP)
To see a more detailed breakdown of what is in the bill, see NSAC’s “section by section breakdown” here.
Call your members of Congress today and ask them to co-sponsor the Agriculture Resilience Act!
|1||Cori Bush (D-St. Louis)||(202) 225-2406|
|2||Ann Wagner (R-Ballwin)||(202) 225-1621|
|3||Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-St. Elizabeth)||(202) 225-2956|
|4||Vicky Hartzler (R-Harrisonville)||(202) 225-2876|
|5||Emanuel Cleaver (D-Kansas City)||(202) 225-4535|
|6||Sam Graves (R-Tarkio)||(202) 225-7041|
|7||Billy Long (R-Springfield)||(202) 225-6536|
|8||Jason Smith (R-Salem)||(202) 225-4404|
Other Ways to Take Action This Summer:
If You Are a Farmer, Please Share Your Story with MCE!
How is climate change impacting your farm? What are you doing to create climate solutions on your farm? We want to ground truth our advocacy in the experiences of Missouri farmers. Your stories help show decision-makers like our members of Congress the importance of federal action in the climate and agriculture space through policies like the of the Agriculture Resilience Ac. If you are willing to share your story, please write a few sentences to us in the form below or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will set up a time for a phone call to discuss.