The Missouri Coalition for the Environment is seeking an energetic and enthusiastic full-time River Organizer to engage local river communities and stakeholders along the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers. The River Organizer will cultivate an active and engaged support base for water policy advocacy in Missouri as part of MCE’s water quality team. This is a grant-funded position through March 2020 that reports to the Water Policy Coordinator. MCE is focused on protecting wetlands and floodplains along the Lower Missouri River and the Middle Mississippi River, and we are committed to advancing water quality protections throughout the state.
MCE’s offices and staff are currently based out of St. Louis, Missouri, but the River Organizer’s geographic location is flexible. The River Organizer has the unique opportunity to elevate the voice of river communities all across Missouri -- not just in St. Louis.
The River Organizer will have a basic understanding of and interest in:
- Strategies for grassroots organizing and community outreach on policy issues,
- Threats to water resources in Missouri, including the impact of navigation infrastructure, over-application of agricultural chemicals, factory farms, and climate change
- How watersheds, river systems, and wetlands function, and
- The environmental protection framework at the state and federal levels.
- Developing and implementing an organizing and outreach strategy in collaboration with MCE’s Water Policy Coordinator, Policy Director, and Food and Farm team
- Engaging individuals and organizations to foster greater understanding of river systems and threats to our water resources
- Building collaborative efforts amongst environmental, conservation, and public health groups working in the state of Missouri
- Organizing lobby days and in-district meetings with elected officials
- Attending community and neighborhood events to learn about local issues and share updates on MCE’s work
- Representing MCE to the public and in the media
- Tracking and evaluating impacts of efforts and measuring success
- Frequent travel around the state
- Working evenings and weekends several times a month
- Grassroots organizing, outreach, advocacy, or political campaign experience
- At least 1 year of work experience that includes project management, community engagement, organizing, public relations, or public speaking
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Prior experience and knowledge of the legislative and administrative process
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working in a team
- Valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required
- Experience with basic computer programs, such as MS Office, Google Drive, and social media applications
- Familiarity with rural and river communities in Missouri is highly preferred
- Strong preference for River Organizer to be located in a Missouri river town
A successful River Organizer will have the following skills and strengths:
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- Team player
- Excellent public speaking skills
Start date: November 2018
This is a full-time position with benefits.