Comment Letter Template for CAFO Permits
Download this in PDF form, here.
The following template outlines a formal comment letter for a CAFO permit. Bracketed sections should be personalized with information specific to your comment. Sections in parenthesis are optional but may be included if they are helpful and relevant. Sections in italics are meant to guide you and should not be included in the final comment letter. Please contact Sophie Watterson at [email protected] if you have specific questions about completing this template or commenting on a draft CAFO permit (renewal).
If you belong to an organization or community group, you may include a header with your organization’s logo and/or a footer with your organization’s contact information (mailing address, email address, web address, fax and/or phone number).
Department of Natural Resources
Water Protection Program
P.O. Box 176
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0176
ATTN: NPDES Operating Permits/Permit Comments
Re: Notice of Intent to Issue Missouri State Operating Permit [Permit Number] for [Facility Name]
To whom it may concern,
[I am/’your organization name’ is] grateful for the opportunity to comment on the Notice of Intent (NOI) to Issue Missouri State Operating Permit [Permit Number] for [Facility Name]. (Explanation of your personal interest in the draft permit or explanation of your organization and its interest in the draft permit).
[I urge/your organization name urges] the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) and Clean Water Commission (CWC) to [deny/amend] the draft permit (renewal) for [facility name and/or permit number]. [Briefly summarize your concern(s)].
- [First concern]
- [Second concern]
- [Third concern]
[I urge/’your organization name’ urges] DNR and CWC to protect Missouri’s water quality and ensure that Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs) prepare complete and thorough permits. [I/we] ask that DNR and CWC [deny/amend] the draft permit for [facility name and/or permit number] regarding the concerns outlined in this comment.
Thank you for providing the opportunity to present these comments. If you have any questions or wish to discuss these comments further, please reach out to [me/’your organization name’] at the contact information below.
[Your name] [Your title] [Your organization’s or group’s name (if applicable)] [Phone number] [Email address]
You may also choose to submit your comments more informally; you may even submit your comments as a bulleted list. Whatever format you choose, be sure to include the following information:
- Your name and address
- Name of group you are speaking on behalf of (if relevant)
- Name, address and location of permit applicant, facility or activity (refer to the public notice)
- A statement explaining why you are interested or concerned, and how the proposed action might affect your interests
- Any permit identification or reference number (refer to the public notice)
- Any other information required by the public notice
- A statement of what you want the agency to do regarding the proposed action
- For example, deny the permit, prepare an environmental impact statement, hold a public hearing locally, change the rule, etc.
- Note: you can have multiple requests
- A request that the agency notify you in writing of the permit decision
- Date and sign your comment