Missouri Coalition for the Environment (MCE) recently celebrated 50 years of environmental action. As we prepare for the next 50 years, we are looking to build a more diverse and inclusive statewide board that can help MCE address the environmental challenges of our day with the communities who are most affected. The current tasks before the board are to engage in strategic planning that considers:
- the current state of our natural resources, including air, water, and soil quality, especially in light of the devastating effects of climate change;
- racial, economic, and social justice, especially in the form of equitable access to our natural
resources, including clean water, healthy food, and open space;
- the fluctuating regulatory and legal frameworks that have provided varying levels of environmental protection over the last 50 years, many of which are currently being dismantled and/or challenged;
- the growth of MCE from a volunteer-led organization in 1969 to a professionally staffed one with a 50-year reputation for holding government and polluters accountable; and
- securing the long-term financial security to be effective for the next 50 years.