A document from from the EPA National Remedy Review Board indicates it is feasible to remove radioactive wastes from the West Lake Landfill. MCE also believes the document justifies the need for Congress to pass legislation that will put the Corps of Engineers in charge at the landfill.
Help by picking up the phone and making a few phone calls.
Senator Blunt & Senator McCaskill helped unanimously pass FUSRAP legislation in February of 2016. Unfortunately the bill didn't pass in the House. The bipartisan legislation has been introduced (S.1211) again and is identical the previous leglsiation. Congresswoman Wanger, Congressman Clay, and Congressman Luetkemeyer introduced companion legislation in the House (H.R.2632). We need your help to contact the chairman and ranking member of each committee the legislation has been assigned. Click on the button below for who to call. We ask that people use our online tool so you can leave us comments on the result of your conversation with each office.
Our federally elected officials know the Corps has invaluable expertise in handling radioactive material. That's why they sent the EPA a letter in February and July of 2014 requesting the Corps be involved at the site and why they have introduced legislation to put FUSRAP in charge of the radioactive cleanup at the landfill.
Support for the Army Corps of Engineers includes:
St. Louis County Council (unanimous, bipartisan support)
- St. Charles County Council (unanimous, bipartisan support)
- Pattonville School District
- Pattonville Fire Protection District
- DePaul Hospital SSM
- North County Incorporated
- City of Bridgeton
- City of Black Jack
- Senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal (district includes the West Lake Landfill)
- Representative Bill Otto (district includes the West Lake Landfill)
- Representative Keith English
- Former St. Louis County Executive Charlie Dooley
- Franciscan Sisters of Mary
- Sisters of Divine Providence (St. Louis Province)
- Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (St. Louis Province)
- Franciscan Sisters of Our Lady of Perpetual Help (Kirkwood)
- Sisters of the Most Precious Blood (O'Fallon)
- Dominicans of Sparkill, NY (Sisters in St. Louis)
- Just Moms STL
- Missouri Coalition for the Environment
- School Sisters of Notre Dame
- Sisters of Mercy of the Americas
- Adorers of the Blood of Christ
- The Religious of the Sacred Heart of Jesus