Call Senator McCaskill, Senator Blunt, and your Congressperson today!
- MCE Farm Bill Priorities
- Call Your Elected Officials
- Organization/Business/Elected Official Sign-On Letter
The Farm Bill is reauthorized every five years and 2018 is one of those years. It is not just important for farmers, it’s important for every single one of us who rely on a safe, abundant, and sustainable food system. The House of Representatives and Senate each passed their own version, which is now in conference committee where the two versions will be negotiated into one final Farm Bill. The negotiated Farm Bill will then receive a vote in the House and Senate.
Neither version addresses the broad range of support our small and mid-sized traditional family farmers need following decades of policies that favor larger, corporate agribusiness, like the concentrated animal feeding operations that are putting Missouri family farmers out of business. With that, the Senate version of the Farm Bill does more to support our priorities for a sustainable, equitable food system, and now is the time to contact your lawmakers!
MCE’s Farm Bill Priorities
1) Support Local Agriculture Market Program (LAMP) and fund it at $60 million to ensure the future of local and regional food economies (LAMP at $60 million),
2) Maintain funding for Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP) and Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP), with each program functioning independently (Do not cut funding for, or merge together, CSP and EQIP),
3) Adopt the Farming Opportunities Training and Outreach Program (FOTOP), which consolidates and streamlines the Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program and Outreach and Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged and Veteran Farmers and Ranchers program and provide $50 million in annual permanent mandatory funding,
4) Protect SNAP from any funding cuts or changes to work requirements to ensure our most food insecure families can feed themselves (Keep SNAP as is),
5) Adopt the House of Representatives funding levels for Food Insecurity Nutrition Incentives (FINI) and the Senate policy changes for FINI.
- Fill out your information in the form to get contact information for Senator McCaskill, Senator Blunt, and your Congressperson.
- Call all three elected officials and tell them what you want to see in the final Farm Bill. The above priorities will be available on the screen while you make your calls.
- Leave us a note on how the call went so we can follow-up with their offices.
- Thank you!
Organization/Farmer/Business/Elected Official Sign-On Letter
Please fill out the form by close of business on Wednesday, September 5, 2018.… Read the rest